- *I use a blend of Dutch and regular Cocoa, Macey’s carries it* (Saco Premium)
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 c Boiling Water
- 1 C Oil
- 1 T Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 2 t Baking Soda
- 2 ½ C Flour
- ½ C Cocoa
- ½ t Salt
- 1 C Buttermilk
- (In emergency can use ½ t Vinegar in regular milk instead of Buttermilk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease three 9-inch cake pans, or use a sheet pan I think it’s easier to feed a crowd using a sheet pan.
- Mix the sugar, oil, and eggs then alternately add the liquid and flour mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 25 min. Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick. Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks. Or if you are using a sheet pan just keep in pan.
C Butter softened
1 3-oz package lime-flavored gelatin
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
¾ cup orange juice
1 Tb lemon juice
½ cup Key lime juice (from about 25 small Key limes or 4 large regular limes)
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease three 9-inch cake
pans, or use a sheet pan I think its easier to feed a crowd using a sheet pan.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar,
flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice,
and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40
minutes. Text for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or
inserting a toothpick. Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn
them out onto racks.
While the layers are still hot, mix the lime
juice and confectioners’ sugar and pour it over the layers on the racks. You
can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow
the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.
Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the
confectioners’ sugar (and margarita mixer) until the mixture is smooth and easy
to spread. Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the
Note: The cream cheese icing is
optional. This cake is beautiful and tastes great with just the glaze poured
over it. Serves 12.