This is a fun and easy craft to do this holiday, so easy that my boy was helping me make this one. Maybe he didn’t want to wash dinner dishes but what ever the reason it was fun to craft with him. This ornament frame would make a darling gift for a grandma or sister. I love how it looks sitting on my desk in my office this season and when I get my gallery wall up in my office it can hang next year!
This is what you will need for your ornament frame
- a frame the size depends on what size your ornaments are. Mine is an 8×10 because my ornaments are the little 1 inch mini kind.
- wire backing you can get screening or radiator metal at the Home Depot I found sheets of pretty metal at Hobby lobby or on Amazon
- wire and wire cutters
- ornaments the cutest ones I found were at Hobby lobby
- The first thing you are going to want to do is to fit the screen into your frame. my metal screen is easily cut with my scissors. I cut it about a half and inch bigger that the opening so that I could just push it into the frame and it would stay without needing to pin or tape it in. Because this is a holiday decoration and the frame is not I wanted it to be really easy to pop out and put the photo back in after the holidays. (kinda hard to see it bending but it is and never once fell out.
- You want to lay out your ornaments in a tree pattern. Getting the colors and shapes of the ornaments to look good, isn’t hard but takes a min to figure out. I promise this is a critical step in saving lots of time wiring and rewiring the ornaments to the frame. LOL take it from me.
- lay out your design on top of the frame to determine where you are going to need to space it all
- start at the top and work your way down it will be easier to see how they lay.
- cut a small piece of thinwire to attach the ornaments to the screen. This can just be loosely done seeing how I had to take a few ornaments off to change up the color and size. At the end you can tighten everything allup and cut the ends of the wire. Below is the front and the back of the screen and how it looks with the wire.
- use a pop dot of your topper is coming off the top of the frame. hopefully your frame will be the perfect size but if not improvise like i did. I think it looks charming and make its more endearing that its not perfect. Sorry that’s how I craft, knowing that handmade does’t have to be perfect to be beautiful!
Umm I’m so embarrassed how easy all my crafts are especially this ornament frame. But that’s how I roll, do easy crafts and hope they look like they took hours. I think the hardest part about crafting is finding the time. Just so you feel good about your self I”ll let you in on a secret. I craft till midnight my house looks like an elf crime scene and every thing you touch has a layer of dust-glitter covering it!! How can that be?? LOL if you love to create then make time to do these simple crafts. They will become treasured decorations in future years. And guess what i found out? the messy house is very patient, it will wait for you to clean it later isn’t that nice. Happy Crafting Holidays and if you want to see this craft showcased during my studio 5 segment click HERE.